Richard Schulz
Staff Writer


The Millersville men’s soccer team lost to the Gannon Golden Knights in a disappointing overtime on Friday night at Pucillo Field. Gannon, now 3-5-0 overall and 2-1-0 in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference, finished with a 3-2 while the loss for Millersville now drops them to 2-7-1 overall and 1-2 in PSAC play.

Coach Steve Widdowson looks on as his Marauders fall twice.
Coach Steve Widdowson looks on as his Marauders fall twice.

Only three minutes into the first period, Gannon’s Robbie Bennett broke into open space, beating Millersville goalkeeper David Brubaker in a one-on-one situation. The opening score was Bennett’s 40th career goal.

Millersville Marauders weren’t going to give up that early.

Shaun Daly scored the tying goal at 7:36 after collecting his own rebound. He kicked the ball past Gannon’s goalkeeper Matthew Dixon and Zach Brier was attributed with the assist.

Brier was able to get his own goal of the day at 19:34 as he ran passed the Gannon defenders and scored on Dixon. Dixon couldn’t reach the ball in time, placing the Marauders ahead of the match 2-1.

The goal marked Brier’s second of the season and he was assisted by freshman Jesse Zimmerman.

The score stayed 2-1 for the remainder of the first half, but nine minutes into the second half, the Golden Warriors showed their might. An equalizer was made by Jason Fox as Brubaker dove for the ball, but it was out of reach. Neither team scored for the remainder of the second half as the score was 2-2 at the end of regulation.

Overtime seemed to be controlled by Gannon as Bennett scored the golden goal before the 95th minute. This was Bennett’s second unassisted goal of the match.

The final score was 3-2 once Gannon scored in extra time giving the Marauders a painful overtime loss.

Gannon outshot Millersville 26-14 in the match including a 2-0 advantage in the overtime period. Brubaker was able to save nine of the 12 shots fired at him while Dixon saved seven of the nine shots at goal.

With another loss behind them, the Marauders prepared to face Mercyhurst which ended just as unfortunate as Friday’s loss, if not more unfortunate.


Millersville suffered a heart-breaking 1-0 loss, and the only goal scored during the match was off a questionable call inside the penalty box that resulted in a converted penalty shot attempt by the Lakers. Mercyhurst improves to 9-2-0 and 3-1-0 in Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference action after their win while Millersville falls to 2-8-1 and 1-3-1 in the PSAC. Redshirt junior Kohl Orner received the start as the Marauders goalkeeper and was quite successful finishing the contest with seven saves.

A first half goal was all Mercyhurst would need to top the Marauders Saturday afternoon.
A first half goal was all Mercyhurst would need to top the Marauders Saturday afternoon.

The first half was controlled by Mercyhurst. They kept firing at the Marauder net and recorded 11 shots to Millersville’s one. Things heated up at the 43rd minute of play when a Marauder defender slide tackled Danny Deakin inside the penalty box. Although the tackle looked clean, Deakin was awarded a penalty kick, which he converted for his fifth goal of the season.

In the second half, the Marauders shot six shots on goal and came close to scoring on one of them. Freshman forward Jesse Zimmerman was one-on-one in an open field against the Lakers goalkeeper after receiving an opportunistic pass. Ryan Arvin, Laker’s goalkeeper, slid into Zimmerman giving himself a yellow card and giving the Marauders a free kick 30-yards out. Millersville couldn’t capitalize on the opportunities and the final score was 1-0. Another loss for the home team.