Get your fire extinguishers ready and practice your stop, drop, and rolling—this mixtape is about to be straight flame emojis. That’s right ladies and gentlemen, The Hamilton Mixtape has officially been announced!
Now if you are a Lin-Manuel Miranda fanboy, this shouldn’t come as a shock to you. Lin has been dropping hints all along the way pertaining to the Tony, Grammy, and Pulitzer Prize winning musical since he debuted Alexander Hamilton at a White House function back in May of 2009. In fact, the original title of the musical was to be The Hamilton Mixtape.
After mentioning the forthcoming Hamilton mixtape for almost two years, which in that span of time gained hype of mythic proportions, he quietly—and officially—tweeted on November 3rd that it would be released by the end of the year while also telling fans that pre-ordering would available the next day.
Way to just drop that bomb, Lin…
The Hamilton Mixtape is already shaping up to be the biggest musical project of the year with some of the industry’s biggest names lending their voices to some of the characters they inspired. The tape is going to be a mix of original songs, inspired by the musical itself, as well as stars covering some of the music that the production made famous.
For instance, with Usher covering “Wait For It,” Chance the Rapper featuring Francis and The Lights doing their rendition of “Dear Theodosia,” and Lin Manuel unveiling a new song titled “Slavery Battle (Demo),” the tape looks as though it is looking to be giving a new twist to some crowd favorites while also giving fans new masterpieces to drool over (or belt out/rap to in the car).
Luckily for everyone, some songs have already been released, with Kelly Clarkson covering “It’s Quiet Uptown” and The Roots, Joel Ortiz, Busta Rhymes, and Nate Ruess debuting a new song, “My Shot [Rise Up Remix]”—both of which can be found on iTunes as well as Spotify. Be sure to give those a listen, check out the tracklist below, and preorder the entire Hamilton mixtape on iTunes, which has a reported release date of December 2nd.
1. No John Trumbull (Intro) — The Roots
2. My Shot (feat. Busta Rhymes, Joell Ortiz, and Nate Ruess) [Rise Up Remix] — The Roots
3. Wrote My Way Out — Nas, Dave East, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Aloe Blacc
4. Wait for It — Usher
5. An Open Letter (feat. Shockwave) [Interlude] — Watsky
6. Satisfied (feat. Miguel and Queen Latifah) – Sia
7. Dear Theodosia (feat. Ben Folds) — Regina Spektor
8. Valley Forge (Demo) — Lin-Manuel Miranda
9. It’s Quiet Uptown — Kelly Clarkson
10. That Would Be Enough — Alicia Keys
11. Immigrants (We Get the Job Done) — K’naan, Snow Tha Product, Riz MC, Residente
12. You’ll Be Back — Jimmy Fallon and The Roots
13. Helpless (feat. Ja Rule) — Ashanti
14. Take a Break (Interlude) — !llmind
15. Say Yes to This — Jill Scott
16. Congratulations — Dessa
17. Burn — Andra Day
18. Stay Alive (Interlude) — J.PERIOD and Stro Elliot
19. Slavery Battle (Demo) — Lin-Manuel Miranda
20. Washingtons by Your Side – Wiz Khalifa
21. History Has Its Eyes on You — John Legend
22. Who Tells Your Story (feat. Common and Ingrid Michaelson) — The Roots
23. Dear Theodosia (Reprise) — Chance The Rapper and Francis and The Lights