Donald Trump slated to be 45th president of United States

Photo courtesy of Gage Skidmore, Creative Commons.

Mickayla Miller
News Editor

Over the past year, a businessman with few ties to anything political competed with an ex-senator with a looming email crisis on her hands to become the next president of the United States, the successor to Barack Obama.

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump ran in rather unconventional directions with their campaigns, but the consequences of their actions could not be determined until Election Day, November 8. For many, the results came as a surprise.

Swing states such as Ohio and Florida turned their alliance towards Trump, and at the end, it was the unexpected victory at Wisconsin that gave Trump enough votes to secure his future presidency.

States such as California and New York chose Clinton as their presidential prospective. Other states, such as Pennsylvania, were projected to be blue, but instead were red, voting for Trump as their official pick.

This election was historical in many ways. Statistically speaking, Clinton and Trump are the two most disliked candidates in recent history, with an over 50 percent dislike for Trump and an over 30 percent dislike for Clinton, according to fivethirtyeight.com.

According to the New York Times, only 9 percent of people voted Trump and Clinton into their presidential nominations during the primaries. The other 91 percent either could not, or did not, vote.

It is unclear on how all of this will pan out in the long run. Only time can tell.

More updates will be added when more information is released.