UA-76843172-1

Meet the class of 2023

Millersville freshmen feel welcomed on campus. Photo courtesy of Millersville University.

Carly O’Neill
Features Editor

This year Millersville University welcomed 1,300 new students to its campus, making up the freshmen class of 2023. 

91 percent of this semester’s incoming Marauders are in state students, while the other 9 percent are from other various US states, and 15 different countries.

These countries include: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Ethiopia, Haiti, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Spain, and Turkey. 

The next time you’re in class, start a conversation with your neighbor, maybe you’ll find out it’s not a small world after all.

This year’s incoming class earned their way into Millersville with 40 percent of those freshmen obtaining a GPA of 3.5 or higher. 

After conducting a survey to see what exactly attracted those 1,300 students to Millersville this fall, I found out what led 23 of those students to decide this is where they wanted to spend the next four or more years of their life. 

“I felt at home at MU, and the Honors College just clicked with me here! Everyone was so accommodating and nice here which made it feel right when I stepped on campus. I also loved the clubs, Comm department, and Music department here which are what I wanted to be involved with,” said an anonymous freshman.

Another survey participant provided insight during their college scouting visit by saying, “We took a tour around campus and I fell in love with the place and the people who make the atmosphere so friendly and welcoming. My mom was handicapped and she used an electric wheelchair to help her get around on the tour at one point she fell off the sidewalk and tipped over but the group I was with swooped over to help her. She was fine but it showed me who Millersville attracts, how seriously they take others safety, and how wonderful Millersville actually is!”

Other responses included the atmosphere, inclusivity, and the affordable tuition. Freshmen said on how they felt safe on campus and “the positive vibe the campus gave.”  

Freshmen also gave feedback on a few of their biggest fears about navigating college. Some were worried about failing or falling behind in classes, while others were afraid of not making any connections with their peers and being lonely throughout their college career. 

“My biggest fear about college is failure and not being able to balance my schoolwork, clubs, friends, and my own personal care and needs,” said a survey participant.

Students also responded to some future careers they hope to pursue after college. Marauders are aspiring to be possible meteorologists, teachers, photographers, and writers. 

Others are planning on tackling the more underrated fields like Clinical psychologists, marine biologists, and forensic medical examiners.

“We can and we will go far this year because we have a spirit of cooperation and a new spirit of inclusion at the ‘Ville’ that binds us together,” said President Dr. Daniel Wubah at the State of the Ville Address.

Freshmen survey

Graphic courtesy of Julia Meassick